Every family has its own travel style. Some fill their days with activities. Others prefer to relax and enjoy company cozied up near their vacation home. The goal for our winter getaway was to find a location that satisfies both vacationing styles and please the crowd.
This edition of Home Away From Home with Meredith Lodging takes place at a home called “River Wild 61395” in the newly updated and fabulous Mount Bachelor Village Resort. The resort is perfectly appointed to exceed guest needs, minutes from downtown Bend and the Old Mill district, and 30 minutes from the mountain.
River Wild 61395
- Three bedrooms
- 2.5 bathrooms
- Large wrap around deck for entertaining
- Community fireside lounge
- Complimentary bicycles for daily use
- Community park/playground
- Complimentary access to the Bend Athletic Club
- Seasonal access to the private River Wild pool
- Free shuttle passes to the mountain
Mount Bachelor Village Resort by Meredith Lodging is newly revamped and completely exceeded our expectations. The Kids’ Club area is filled with games and toys, located next to an expertly designed fireside lounge where adults can gather, enjoy a beverage from the refreshment store and keep an eye on the little ones. We were greeted by the friendly staff and given a welcome binder that had everything we needed to create a perfect getaway experience. While following the directions to our home, we were awestruck as we traveled through the magical neighborhoods of the village. River Wild 61395 is ideal for entertaining, with an open floor plan and elevated, vaulted ceilings in a picture-perfect cabin living room featuring a gas fireplace. The home is nestled in the pine trees in a quiet and lovely neighborhood, situated right near a path to the Deschutes River Trail.
Winter Travel Tips
1. Seasonal lists. Keep a travel list for each season in your phone and refer to it when packing for your trip. This almost guarantees that you won’t forget a necessity! It is also helpful to refer to the list when packing to head home. Forget something on your trip that you wish you had? Add it to your list so that it’s there for your next getaway!
2. Nacho problem. Traveling with multiple families? Check with your guests to see if they’d like to volunteer to make a meal during the trip. If everyone contributes, all guests have the “thyme” to relax. Make-ahead meals that only need to be put in the oven always steal the show.
3. Matchy-matchy. Add some whimsy and fun to your trip and get matching outfits for the kids. Caution: Results may be too adorable to handle.
4. Fun for all. Don’t be afraid to ask for suggestions for places to go and things to see. The Meredith Lodging team suggested Crux Fermentation Project in Bend. It was a great choice for adults and kids.
5. Game night! Nothing says cozy winter getaway quite like game night by the fire. Choices this time around were Blokus and Catch Phrase.
Winter Recipe: Cranberry Mint Julep
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 ¼ oz. cranberry- and rosemary-infused simple syrup (recipe below)
- 2 limes
- 1/4 C. coarse sugar
- 2 ½ oz. bourbon
- 3/4 oz. club soda
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 cranberries
Cranberry and Rosemary Simple Syrup:
- 32 oz. water
- 2 C. sugar
- 1 pint fresh cranberries
- 10 sprigs rosemary
Combine simple syrup ingredients in stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and refrigerate for at least two hours. Muddle mint and simple syrup. Sugar rim the cocktail glasses by rubbing the rim with lime and dipping the glass in sugar. Add the muddled simple syrup, bourbon and club soda, and garnish with rosemary and cranberries. Cheers!